Bangkok, rated the world's 22nd largest city by population, has approximately nine million registered residents.
Due to large unregistered influxes of migrants from the North East of Thailand & other neighboring countries, the population of greater Bangkok is estimated at nearly 15 million people.
Project Managers: Deborah and Magnus Ekner
Since 1997, Central Thailand Mission – based in Bangkok – has been working to improve the lives of disadvantaged communities in Thailand in the following ways:
- Providing a bridge between people with the needs and those with the resources.
- Providing basic essentials of food, water, and clothes for destitute communities.
- Initiating the sponsorship of major needs and projects eg. A seminar for teachers from rural schools to upgrade teaching skills, building a daycare center.
- Counseling and encouragement for the handicapped, the terminally-ill (death coaching/grief counseling) , AIDS patients, abused women & children.
- Counseling and preparing orphans for adoption.
- Utilizing the assistance of international volunteers who want to give of their time, talents or resources to help others.
- Sharing spiritual strength and comfort with those who need and seek a purpose and direction for a meaningful life.
Volunteers from Central Thailand Mission assist in the following programs:
- The Rangsit Babies' Home (orphanage for about 300 children), an ongoing program to prepare the children for adoption which includes teaching English and socialization activities.
- Volunteer program, coordinating logistics and projects for students and professionals who want to volunteer for a hands-on experience working with the orphans or other humanitarian aid programs.
- Emergency Home for Women: a shelter for women or children who seek refuge from abusive domestic situations with husbands or family/relatives. CTM organizes activities such as: Mother's Day programs; song and dance therapy for children, visits to HIV patients, counseling.
- Prison ministry: Volunteers serve at the maximum security prison in Bangkok to provide counseling, encouragement, spiritual support and help with some legal paperwork.
- Home for the Blind and Multiply-Handicapped: CTM provides a supply of fruits, vegetables, rice and other food essentials to this institution.
Travelogue activity of Central Thailand Mission, below: