Project Managers: Isabelle Nizincourt
Sponsor a Book! was registered as a non-profit in Mexico in 2004, with the goal of organizing campaigns to promote reading and values. To date they have distributed for free 80,000 children’s publications, in 11 states of Mexico (Chiapas, Chihuahua, D.F., Estado de Mexico, Guerrero, Hidalgo, Morelos, Nuevo Leon, Queretaro, San Luis Potosi, Tabasco) as well as in Cuba, Guatemala and El Salvador.
Sponsor a Book's mission is to foster values through the promotion of reading among the most underprivileged children of Mexico. In fulfilling their mission, Sponsor a Book! organizes:
- Workshops for parents, emphasizing the importance of active parenting, spending personal time with their children, as well as reading with their children. The workshops are adapted to the type of situation the parents find themselves in. In case of single mothers, or abused mothers, or female inmates, emphasis is made on raising self-esteem and helping them to communicate their experience.
- Activities with the children, discussions, pow-wows to help them identify values
- Story-telling emphasizing values
- Distribution of story books, activity books, coloring books, puzzles, etc. to individual children
- Donation of books to schools and institutions
- Additional donations of clothing, food, school supplies, etc. to the schools/institutions visited